Right now, the American Health Care Act is being considered, and its impact would rip away health coverage from 23 million Americans according to the Congressional Budget Office.
While we have heard it will not be as drastic as the House's version we expect 632,686 children in South Carolina to be in danger of losing their Medicaid coverage.
More than 10 million Americans with disabilities rely on Medicaid for care. This decision will affect millions. Our children need your voice now! You can make a difference!
South Carolina Senators Lindsey Graham and Tim Scott are in the position to stop this from happening and need to hear from you! Please call their offices NOW and throughout the week until you reach a staff person. Some key points to share are below.
Contact your SC legislator!
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R)
Nick Myers, Legislative Aide
nick_myers [at] lgraham.senate.gov
Sen. Timothy Scott (R)
Claire Brandewie, Legislative Assistant claire_brandewie [at] scott.senate.gov
Will Holloway Deputy Legislative Assistant will_holloway [at] scott.senate.gov
What to say:
"Hi, my name is (Name) and I'm a constituent from (City and Zip). I'm calling to ask the Senator to oppose any health care bill that would cause millions to lose insurance coverage, make coverage unaffordable, end Medicaid expansion, or cut billions of dollars from the Medicaid program. Thank you for your time, I appreciate your concern for our children."
If you are a member of a group home and/or provider agency feel free to use the following key points:
● 100% of the children residing in my care are on Medicaid, this decision will affect (number) children in (agency name) alone.
● Our foster families deserve to be provided healthcare for the children for whom they have opened their hearts and homes.
● We work with kids with disabilities like (list specifics) and Medicaid provides the critical services they need like (list therapies, etc).
● A majority of children in our care have pre-existing conditions, they deserve healthcare.
You can also email our lawmakers. Here is a sample letter to lawmakers you can personalize and send to the senators:
I'm writing today to ask the Senator to oppose any health care bill that would cause millions to lose insurance coverage, make coverage unaffordable, end Medicaid expansion, or cut billions of dollars from the Medicaid program.
The health care proposals in their current form are very scary for South Carolina’s children and families.
According to various analyses, more than 632,686 children in South Carolina to be in danger of losing their Medicaid coverage.
What will happen to these children? How will their medical needs be met? Are we really going to allow hundreds of thousands of children in our state be at risk of not being able to live healthy lives?
It is critical that you vote NO on any legislation that would take this critical care away from so many children in our state.
Thank you for your time, I appreciate your concern for the health and well-being of our state’s children and youth!
Share your story!
Please use the below graphic on your social media accounts and urge your friends and family to call or write their legislators as well! Feel free to forward them this email and/or provide the script above.
About the Bill
According to the Post & Courier -- "South Carolina will be at the bottom of the heap if Republicans follow through on their proposed deep cuts to Medicaid a Kaiser Family Foundation analysis found this week.
"The healthcare bill that passed the House of Representatives would cut funding to Medicaid, the health insurance program for the poor, by $834 billion over the next decade.
"South Carolina and 10 other states were identified as among states that would be in the most trouble if such cuts are signed into law, according to the recent Kaiser analysis."
● It’s critical that our legislators protect children’s health coverage as they consider the American Health Care Act (AHCA).
● Various evaluations of the health care proposals Congress is considering have concluded South Carolina will be among the state's most negatively affected by the proposals.
● What is being proposed -- Medicaid CAPS will hurt ALL individuals who rely on Medicaid, including thousands of children in our care -- children with disabilities and special healthcare needs, even healthy kids.
● States will get one amount of money to divide as they see fit. Since the amount states will get is based on their 2016 spending, more generous states will get more than less generous Medicaid states. That means South Carolina taxpayers money will fund New York, Florida, Connecticut, and other states with more generous Medicaid benefits.
Various bill analyses all underline the same point — THIS BILL IS BAD FOR SOUTH CAROLINA KIDS!
We must reject any healthcare legislation that would strip tens of thousands of children of the critical medical care and services they need!
Today’s children represent tomorrow’s future -- we must invest in their health NOW!