Location of Job (city):
Job Title: Development Officer
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt-Salary
Basic Function: The Development Officer is responsible for planning and implementing a comprehensive annual development plan including identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors and prospective donors. The Development officer serves as coordinator of volunteers and special events/activities, and builds relationships to secure major gifts, grants, sponsorships, and individual contributions.
Scope: Position responsibilities include but are not limited to, creation and execution of the organization’s development plan, implementation of programs to assure attainment of philanthropic support for quality, growth and profit, networking, marketing, program evaluation and new program development all in keeping with the mission, vision and values of the organization.
• Develop and execute Growing Home Southeast’s comprehensive annual development plan.
• Identify, cultivate, and solicit philanthropic support by developing and maintaining relationships with donors and prospects.
• Engage, coordinate, and cultivate relationships with volunteers and community partners.
• Organize and/or participate in organizational outreach and community engagement opportunities to include presentations, newsletters, social media, and annual report.
• Achieve all goals related to donor recruitment, retention, and securing financial support from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
• Work closely with Board of Directors and key staff to effectively engage members in fundraising and advocacy efforts.
• Ensure adequate documentation of donations, activities, relationships, etc. in agency database and prepare status reports as needed
• Develop and track proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising
• Perform all other duties as assigned
Supervisory Responsibility: This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Job Reports To:
Knowledge, Skill and Experience Required:
Bachelor’s Degree in Fundraising, Communications, Marketing or Business Administration and minimum 3 years of documented experience in development, sales, or related field required. Certified Fund Raising Executive preferred. Knowledge and experience in non-profit fund development; including prospect research, donor cultivation and solicitation, and proposal development. Outstanding oral, written and interpersonal communication skills. Self-motivated, and able to work well both independently and cooperatively; proven success working as a member of a team. Ability to multi-task and maintain high level of attention to detail. Possess strong organizational and time management skills. Ability to meet deadlines and work under tight scheduling and competing priorities. Exceptional interpersonal skills in a variety of social and professional environments.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors. Excellent communicator with good follow up skills.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as frequency distribution and correlation techniques.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.