Save the Date: 2017 Kinship Care Summits
Current research, best practices and a review of South Carolina policy and practice reveals kinship caregivers have specific resource needs that differ from foster and adoptive parents. With the success of the 2016 Kinship Care Summits, we will host a series of three Kinship Care Summits during the month of September 2017, Kinship Care Awareness Month. This year's focus will be Engaging Biological Parents with Kinship Families. Summits will run from 9:30 a.m. - 3 p.m. to allow for travel of out-of-town attendees. Lunch and Continuing Education Units will be provided for participants.
- Columbia: Tuesday, Sept. 12
- Greenville: Wednesday, Sept. 13
- Charleston: Friday, Sept. 15
The 2017 Summits will enhance the skill of practitioners engaging biological parents to positively impact and interact with kinship caregivers and their families. The goal of the training is to assist professionals who work with biological parents in stabilizing their children and supporting caregivers in providing safety, well-being and permanency. This workshop will also highlight tasks for caregivers in co-parenting and positively engaging parents.
1. Understanding how kinship care impacts and changes family dynamics, roles, responsibilities and relationships between the biological parent, their child and kinship caregivers (the triad)
2. Identifying pre-requisites and roles for biological parents in stabilizing their youth in kinship care
3. Developing guidelines and tasks for biological parents and caregivers in co-parenting
4. Utilizing motivational approaches and minimizing barriers to engaging biological parents in kinship care
International and national consultant and trainer, Dr. Joseph Crumbley received his masters and doctorate in social work from the University of Pennsylvania. He is in private practice as a family therapist, trainer and consultant. His clinical experience includes adoption, foster care, chemical dependency, couples therapy, physical and sexual abuse. His most recent areas of specialization have been kinship care and transracial adoptions. He has provided training and consultation nationally and internationally.
Registration & Agenda Coming Soon!